Monday 15 April 2013

Weight Loss Diary #1

I want to talk to you about a contentious issue... one that I prefer to bury my head in the sand every time someone mentions it and pretend there is nothing wrong... My Weight.

Yikes! I can't believe I am doing this... but it is time I faced the facts, got into action and got into shape!

I have always been a 'healthy' size, more curvy than skinny since I can remember but in the last 5 years or so, I have piled the weight on. Initially, it just crept up on me and I thought to myself 'ah, that will be easy to lose again' but I never faced up to it fully and did something about it, so the weight kept going up and up and up.

I am the queen of writing 'To Do Lists' whether it be a chores list, work plan list, or life list. The latter always features losing weight as my number one thing I need to do. I am great at ticking off everything else on the list, but losing weight is always left on there but I just tell myself 'but look at everything else I achieved' rather than 'I didn't tackle the number one thing I needed to do'. I think this is a case of what you might call, 'turning a blind eye'!

I have decided though, if I am to really do this thing, I need to tell people, be accountable for my own actions, and be proactive! So I have decided to feature some weight loss diaries within this blog which will hopefully help me to remain focused. (You also have my permission to tell me off if you see me slipping!)

Please understand my heart behind the concept of wanting to lose weight - it isn't to be a skinny minny, but to achieve my main goal which is to be healthy. If that happens to come with a few curves here and there too, then so be it. At least I will be in a better shape than I am now!

With all this in mind, I wanted to share with you a few ways I aim to get started. If you have any great tips / advice you would like to share, then please do comment below. I would love for this blog to be an encouraging place where we can all inspire and motivate one another; so feel free to share any difficulties you are facing as well and we can work through this together! :)

So, here goes:

1. Have breakfast!
I very rarely have breakfast (preferring to stay in bed for an extra 10 minutes instead) so I tend to crash at 11am and succumb to the biscuit barrel! I am going to plan my breakfasts (even if it means making them the night before) so I can be fuelled and good to go all morning!

2. Drink Water
Such a well known piece of advice, but one which I think a lot of us (or I certainly) don't stick to. My plan is to buy a 'bobble' water bottle so I can keep fresh water on me all day but also replace coffees (I drink wayyy too much anyway) with herbal teas.

3. Sip Smoothies
Whilst we are on the subject of drinks, I am hoping to drink more veg juices and fruit smoothies. A great way to cram your five a day into one nose-pinching mouthful and after a while, they really do grow on you! 

4. Say No
I am a sucker for saying 'yes' to everything so when asked 'would you like a piece of cake?' I would never dream of saying no! Although I love having the occasional biccie, I do think I tend to eat too much of the sweet stuff! So I am going to try saying 'no' more!

5. No Carbs before Marbs! 
Okay so I am not going to Marbs, but I definitely think carbohydrates are my worst enemy yet my bestest bestest friend!! I love them so much, but they really don't do me any favours so I aim to eat them only at lunchtime when I know I will be most active and burn the energy, however stick to fresh fish, chicken, steamed veg etc for dinner in the evening.

6. Exercise
Again, this is an obvious one and something which, (being totally honest) makes me break into a sweat just thinking about! I absolutely hate the thought of exercise but that is the difference between a thought and reality - once I am doing it, I absolutely love it! The hardest part is tying your trainer laces, honestly. I plan to go swimming twice a week just to build up my fitness because I then plan to....

7. Run! 
So I have something to aim for, I have signed up to do the British 10k *gulp!* so I have to train, have to work hard and have to increase my fitness levels. Secretly, I am looking forward to it, and I know it will be good fun but I desperately need to put some serious training in! I think signing up for a sports event is a great thing to include in a weight loss journey as you have something to aim for.

8. Look good, feel good
I am going to put some money aside every month to save up for some nice sports gear - I always think if you look good, you will also look like you mean business and feel more confident as a result. I am already paranoid about running by the main road, never mind thinking 'people are sooo looking at my paint splattered decorating joggers right now!' My first goal is to buy some beautifully girlie and garish running shoes! 

9. Keep a Food Diary
This really does work! I have been the most successful when tracking what I am eating for a number of reasons: if the food you are eating fills an A4 page, you know you are probably eating too much! So visualising the food you are putting into your body in this way, really does put things into perspective. You can also keep a more accurate track of your calorie intake and record any exercise you did that day. I found it really helpful to look back at previous weeks where I lost the most weight and tried to copy that routine again. You begin to notice which foods are a winner and which are a no-no.

10. Sleep More!
As if I need an excuse, earlier nights will hopefully make me feel more energetic the next day, allowing me to exercise and will stop me from filling sleep deprivation lows with sugary quick fixes. 

These are my initial goals, which I aim to focus on in the next month, see what the results are, and then step it up a gear if I reach my target. I decided 71bs in a month is a healthy goal to begin with, and if I lose more, that is great! 

Can't wait to update you all. What are your motivational tips for getting fit and healthy?

Love Melanie xx






No comments:

Post a Comment