Wednesday 10 April 2013

ITunes Current Favourites

Music is such a versatile and amazing thing. When I think of music I can become overwhelmed with what it represents, how it is used and what it means to people. Music can be used to influence people in mood, fill a quiet room with happy sounds, and bring people together. We are constantly exposed to it; on the radio during a commute, walking round the supermarket, at the gym, in the local cafe during lunch... it is all around. Have you ever listened to a movie on mute? It doesn't have the same impact... Jaws would not be as scary without the simple 'dur dum dur dum' in the background. That simple tune has become iconic in depicting fear and danger. Music represents something. For me, it represents not only emotions, but eras in my life where it is particularly valid or current.

UB40 for example, reminds me of sitting in the backseat of the car, singing along to 'der's a rat in ma kitchen' during a family trip to Wales. Anything by The Spice Girls reminds me of school uniform and the smell of the school's freshly cut playing field. Sum 41's 'Fat Lip' reminds me of buying my first pair of baggy jeans and hanging round the local skate park. Music means something. Victor Hugo, the French Poet once said, 'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent'.With an indefinite number of songs in the world, it is impossible to define what each one represents as they all mean something different to everyone, at different times. 

With this in mind, I thought I would tell you what I am currently listening to, and why I love these songs so much! 

1. Bon Iver - For Emma (A Capella version)


Oh how I love this version - the fact they are just singing in a hallway produces an organic feel and I love the way their voices reverberate from the walls. We all sing in the shower right? The echo makes vocals sound even richer, not that Bon Iver need that!

2. Josh Osha - Redemption Days


Such a great, clean pop song. Really catchy tune, super smooth soulful voice. Need I say anymore? If you like Redemption Days, Josh also does a great cover of Kanye's 'Jesus Walks'.

3. Birdie - People help the People


I came across this lovely lady just over a year ago when she released 'Shelter'. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful voice, beautiful girl! So grounded for a younger pop star which is nice to see too. 

4. Bastille - Pompeii


I am really enjoying this song at the minute. Great male vocal which breaks in parts adding an extra something. I like the message of the song too - I tried to Wikipedia the meaning to see if it meant what I thought it did. Nothing came up along the lines of my thought - I might be over-spiritualising, but I think it has a double meaning or at least it does to me!

5. Hunting Bears - Heavy Tree


This band describe themselves as a 'Five Piece Alternative Folk Outfit' and I first came across them at the Love Unplugged charity event in Leeds www.loveunplugged.co.uk. I am an absolute sucker for two things; great harmonies and string instruments so both combined made me a fan of this group right away. Check out their video above; which was filmed in the clock tower of Leeds Town Hall. 

6. Duke Dumont - Need U


This tune makes me so happy!! If you watch the video, you will see that one guy has a cassette player inside of him which is belting out this great tune making everyone around him dance. It makes me want to do the same! It reminds me of all the great 90s dance classics which never fail to get people on their feet and singing along.

7. Incubus - Wish You Were Here

'The World's a roller coaster and I am not strapped in.
Maybe I should hold with care, but my hands are busy in the air'.


This choice was an easy one - one that I have always made, I am making today and I will always make! Ever since that day during English class in 2002 when I declared to my best friend I would be Mrs Brandon Boyd one day no matter what it took; my undying love and loyalty to this band (and it's lead singer) has never died. The lyrics are so beautiful, never get old and for me, represent a really good time of falling in love, getting my heart broken and falling in love all over again. 

8. James Arthur - Superman


I admit, I am a James Arthur fan and proud :) I came across these unreleased songs when I frantically googled James following his first audition. I simply could not wait until boot camp to hear his voice again so I stumbled across this and have been listening ever since! I love everything about this song... the passion, the pain in his voice, the vibrato - oh, the vibrato and so what if I imagine he is singing it to me!?

9. The 1975 - Chocolate 


Not the most appropriate lyrics in the world but I love the vocals and the catchiness of this tune. Also makes me want to eat chocolate...

10. Beyonce - Countdown.


I have to be careful where and when I play this song. Car journeys are off limits; mainly because I can't listen without pretending I am the Queen B herself by dancing and singing along so I leave this for when there is no risk of me causing danger to anyone! This song in a nut shell? Beyonce's face, the lyrics, the tune - perfection in every way!

Phew! Well there you go - my top 10 most played songs of the moment. What does music mean to you? What's your favourite song of the moment? Comment below! 

Love Melanie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment