Wednesday 24 April 2013

Golden Glow in a Bottle

Following my visit to Giorgio Armani last month, I received a phone call shortly afterwards, inviting me along to an Armani 'Golden Glow' event at Harvey Nichols in Leeds. I excitedly accepted and booked in for 3 o'clock on Thursday.

I turned up a little early and was greeted with a lovely chilled glass of Prosecco and a goody bag. I felt very VIP from the start! In the goody bag there were some little sample sized products and some containers to put products of our own choice in to take away to try. I didn't really know what to expect, but as the chairs were filling up, I began chatting with Siobhan, the head make up artist who was there to demonstrate the new 'Armani Golden Glow' products and she asked if she could use me as a model. I really didn't expect this as I had gone with my notebook and camera to hand, expecting to jot down lots of tips and tricks regarding application and techniques however, how could I refuse?!


When the event started, Siobhan asked if there was anything the ladies wanted instruction on and someone requested the 'smokey eye'. Siobhan asked me if it was okay to do this and I agreed, I was completely in her capable hands!

Siobhan began by removing all of my makeup which I have to be honest, I was a little apprehensive about sat in front of an audience, however I resigned myself to enjoy the experience and not worry about that! Siobhan cleansed my skin using the 'mineral cleansing milk' which smelt very fresh and left my skin feeling clean and soft. She then started to apply a BB cream - oh my days! It felt like a dream as it glided on and sunk into my skin. Siobhan only did half of my face to compare the difference and showed me the results in the mirror - this BB cream works! All my blemishes were covered, the pink tones in my cheeks were gone and I looked like I didn't have makeup on which is a bonus as I prefer to go for a natural look. Siobhan did the other half of my face; then before applying foundation, began on my eyes (this is so that any fallout from the eye shadow would be covered up afterwards).

Siobhan was quite bold in filling my entire lid with the 'smooth silk eyeliner' in black as a base, which I was quite worried about until she blended and softened it with a brush. She then applied the 'eyes to kill intense eye shadow' in silver/black grey and then added a coppery bronze toned eyeshadow in Gold Blitz to the crease of my eye socket. She blended both colours together and it was this action that really intensified the effect; the copper blended beautifully into the black and softened the look altogether. I really enjoyed this take on the smokey eye - I usually associate the look with gray and black but I think the copper gave it a fresh twist.


The eyebrows were the next on the agenda. I don't have the worst eyebrows, but not particularly the best either (or symmetrical for that matter - I blame it on a incident with the razor when I was 15!!) Siobhan got to work shading them in with the brow defining pencil in Brown. This part of the makeover seemed to get the most attention as other shop assistants started to gather around, 'oohing and aaahing' whilst Siobhan was explaining the importance of keeping eyebrows groomed as they frame your face... I looked in the mirror and it was a different person looking back! I had full, even, straight eyebrows that looked like they belonged to my face (not at all like some experiences I have had whereby they have closely resembled the 'scouse' brow!)

Siobhan then added lashings of the 'Eyes to Kill' Mascara in Black (which I later purchased) before buffing 'Luminous Silk Foundation' in number 2 into my skin, particularly under the eyes to provide more coverage. She then used a liquid based bronzer to add the 'Golden Glow' which the event focused on. I have never used a liquid bronzer before and I am usually a bit apprehensive as I can potentially look St Tangoed opposed to St Tropez. The bronzer only comes in one shade and it apparently suits all - I can agree with that claim as it worked very well with my skin tone and it did create a 'glow' without looking like I was a cast member of TOWIE. Siobhan continued the theme of using liquid based products by applying a blush in 'Shimmering Apricot Pink'. Again, I usually go for pink toned blushers as I think I suit them more however, Siobhan explained that coral toned blushers are better for emanating youth so you might as well make the most of it while you can!

Siobhan finished of with a smacking of the Rouge D'Armani lipstick in the colour 'Tokyo Coral', which felt very moisturising and then I was done! The end result looked quite dramatic, yet glamorous and I was feeling thoroughly pampered!


Siobhan was great at explaining how to apply the products and answered any questions people had. I was made to feel at complete ease throughout the entire experience and learnt a lot. I am going to be more adventurous in the future and not pay attention to 'make up rules' as much. For example, go for coral toned colours if you fancy it, occasionally rock a bold eye and I won't be afraid to wear eye shadow and lipstick together in the future (in moderation!)

The whole event was great and I loved pretending to be a posh lady for the afternoon. Afterwards, I had trouble deciding which products to go for (plus I did have a budget!) so I decided on a mascara and created a 'wish list' instead which I will go back for once I have saved up. I highly recommend the liquid based blusher and bronzer!


If you get chance to go to one of these events (you can call Harvey Nichols and ask to be updated) then I would highly recommend doing so!

Love, Melanie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment