Monday 8 April 2013

Make Your Own || Upcycled Jewellery Holder

I don't know about you, but I am forever buying ear-rings, wearing them once, and never seeing them again as they become lost in the bottom of my handbag, jeans pockets or dressing table. I was thinking of ways to store my stud ear-rings when I thought of making a framed holder. You would like one of these too you say? Then read on!


To begin with, start with an old shirt, item of clothing which has a solid colour or pretty pattern of your choice. Bear in mind that the thicker the material, the longer it will last, and less it will go baggy over time. 


You will also need....


A picture frame (mine was £2 from Wilkos - bargain!), scissors and a staple gun.

Begin by marking out on the material the frame's dimensions - I just made a mark in each corner and cut accordingly. You should be left with a cut-out larger than the frame (Bigger is better, the first time I attempted this, I cut the fabric to the same size as the frame which made it really difficult when attaching). 

 

Using a staple gun, pin down the material, holding it as taught as you can so that the material is tight. Continue stapling around the edges; on the final edge you want to pull as tightly as possible, without distorting the fabric so that it will hold the jewellery without sagging. Once you have the fabric secured down, go round the edges, making sure there are no gaps and trim any excess fabric from behind the frame.


Now, time to decorate! I chose two pink ribbons which I cut to the same size, tailoring the ends to a triangle to stop the ribbon fraying. I then made a bow with one of the ribbons, attaching with some double-sided tape and made a loop with the other ribbon and stapled to the back. This is so that you can choose whether to hang the frame or leave it free standing.


Et Voila! A pretty, pink and practical jewellery holder!



Love Melanie xx

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mel, this will be great to give as gifts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea. This is really cool. This would be a great way to organize stud earrings and prevent them from losing. Oh! I simply love it.
    WhiteLightProductions.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these handbag holder! At least a useful accessory. Christian Dior does a beautiful one with Khabarovsk stones.. vet stylish. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post.

    ReplyDelete