Monday 13 May 2013

Weight Loss Blog #2

As I mentioned in my first weight loss diary, I have signed up to do the British 10k in July... so with 9 weeks to go, I thought I had better get started!

I felt a little overwhelmed at the prospect of going for a run as I have never been running properly and my fitness levels aren't the best to say the least! My boyfriend Tristan, an experienced runner recommended an iphone app to use whilst running. Sounds ridiculous but this app has made my life so much easier and I wanted to share it with you!

'10k Pink' is an app designed to train you from couch to 10k within 14 weeks. Okay so I don't have 14 weeks, but I thought it was better to start later than never! It gradually builds in intensity so you can go from alternatively running and walking for 1 minute for a total of 30 minutes to running for a solid hour.



I have completed week 2 and I did my first day of week 3 this evening. The idea is you do 3 runs a week at the same intensity before knocking it up a gear. Tonight was the first night I run a solid 3 minutes. Sounds ridiculous I know, but I struggled with 1 minute, 2 weeks ago! I can really feel the run getting easier each time I do it and although the prospect of running 2.5 miles in 2 weeks time is daunting, I am feeling enthusiastic and encouraged about it.


If like me, you enjoy setting yourself manageable, obtainable, bite sized goals, then this is the app for you! It is a free app which tells you when to start running, and when to start walking after the allocated times. I really enjoy pushing myself through the burn (something I would never do in a gym) until it beeps to notify me the running period has finished.

I have to admit, my legs have ached a lot since running; especially in the calf / shin area however, I have found it a good excuse to have a bubble bath 3 times a week to soak away the tension and relax! In addition to that, I have been drinking half a protein shake to help my muscles recover. I watched a documentary recently that said a glass of milk is the best way to help your body recover after exercise - more so than an energy drink. As the protein shake is made with milk, and tastes like the best chocolate milkshake ever - I look forward to my post-run treat!

I also really enjoy the buzz you get from after the run - the hardest part is tying your shoelaces, honestly. Who would have thought it?! I actually enjoy running!!


And the best part is... without any drastic changes to my diet, I have lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks!! This has been the easiest, healthiest and most productive way to lose weight and it inspires me to eat clean! In fact, my new motto is 'eat clean, train dirty'!

I would highly recommend using this app, or one similar if you are thinking of starting to run and depending on your fitness levels - you might be able to skip a couple of weeks - I would recommend pushing yourself to the limit rather than remaining in a comfortable zone. I have found that the greatest changes have been after the most difficult runs - even if you don't feel like going out, just do it! You will thank yourself afterwards.

One of the greatest inspirations I have had to begin running comes from an amazing guy, Ben who ran 120 pounds off... my dad showed me the video below and I finishes watching it in tears, knowing I had to start soon! Hopefully it will inspire you too :)



Love, Melanie xx




1 comment:

  1. weight control hypnosis is now progressively recognized as well as, as more folks give it a go : very popular. Just recently offers hypnotherapists for weight loss received the credit that deserves. The thought of hypnosis remains fulfilled along with scepticism because of misconceptions in what it really is. It is important to know that in hypnotherapy you won't. Click the link in order to gét more details..

    ReplyDelete